By Jessica Chasmar, The Washington Times
(Originally posted June 18, 2013)
First Lady Michelle Obama and her daughters Sasha and Malia dined with U2 singer Bono and his family in Dublin this afternoon after visiting Glendalough, Irish media reported.
Finnegans pub has hosted its share of famous visitors, including Salman Rushdie, Mel Gibson and Penelope Cruz. About 60 invited guests were inside before the first family arrived, the Irish Times reported.
"I thought this was a secret," Bono said to the crowd waiting outside, an Irish news website reported.
Fish and chips, cottage pies, smoked bacon and cabbage and chicken with mozarella were said to have been on the menu, Independent.ie reported.
"We talked about everything and nothing," he said to Independent.ie of his meeting with the First Lady and her daughters.
"It was a family lunch," he added.
Mrs. Obama and her daughter will meet up with President Obama this afternoon at the G8 summit in Co Fermangh, before travelling on to Germany for the latest leg of his European meetings, the Irish Times said.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC.
- U2 can dine with Bono in Dublin if you're Michelle, Malia and Sasha Obama
- Bush: Bono 'Became a Pal'
- U2's Bono and Ryanair Michael O'Leary highlight errors in Ireland's property tax evaluations
- U2's Bono spreads positive message on fight to end world poverty at TED Talks
- U2 singer Bono lauds poverty decline at TED in Long Beach